||335 Main Street - Hattie Drummond House (Visitor
Center) (circa 1865). This house was built for Hattie Drummond by her
brother, Mr. Watson, to serve as a millinery business shortly after
the Civil War. Hattie's husband was apparently an irresponsible
roamer, guilty of long and frequent absences. Hattie's brother
wanted to provide her with some financial security. The business
proved to be so successful that by 1868 Hattie had paid back her
brother, and the house and business were deeded to her "free from
all marital rights of her husband".
||203 Main Street - Jordan House
(circa 1830). This house was built for
Watson P. Jordan about 1830 on the site of a much older home. It
was the home of J.P. Andrews from 1876 to 1922, and later the home of
Dr. Rae Parker who practiced medicine in Smithfield from 1922 until
his death in 1948. After sitting vacant for over 30 years and falling
into great disrepair, the house was restored by Mr. Jeff Stark.
||113 South Mason Street - Mary Jackson
House (circa 1760). This
house was built by Mary Jackson, a single woman from Scotland, in
1760. Mary lived for only six months after the house was
built. Originally the house was a two-story Dutch-roofed
colonial building, consisting only of the sections on the right side
of the porch. The section on the left was added in 1790, but the
construction materials date to the same period as the original house,
suggesting that the addition was formed from a portion of a
pre-existing structure from another site. Two shed rooms were
added to the rear of the house in the mid 1800's. These rooms
were expanded to a second level in the 1930's.
||112 South Mason Street -
Miles Cary House (circ. 1800). Before 1800, this
two-story federal style residence was added to a small Dutch-roofed
house, which was later moved to the back of the lot and was eventually
torn down. The house was restored between 1997 and 2003 by Trey
& South Mason Street - Trinity Methodist Church (circ. 1898).
This Gothic structure, built in 1898, replaced an earlier frame
||205 South Mason Street -
(circ. 1826). The building was erected in 1826 as
a private school for young men. After 1872, it became a public
school and later a Masonic Lodge. Restored in 1963, it is used
by the Trinity United Methodist Church.
||213 South Mason Street -
Wills-Lightfoot-Folk House (circa 1752). The
Dutch-roofed section was built before 1752 when it was bought by Mr.
Wills. In 1821, Bartholomew Lightfoot added the two-story
Federal style annex. The William Folk family owned the house for
||110 Hill Street -
Hill Street Baptist Church (circa 1832). The
church was built about 1832 by the Baptists. Two other
congregations have since used this church.
||130 South Church Street -
Chapman House (circa 1892). This house was built around
1892 in the typical Victorian style. It was remodeled in the
1930's to its present hipped-roof Georgian style. Once used as the
town's bakery, and later as a library.
||212 South Church Street -
House (circa 1877). This house was built in 1877
for Captain O.G. Delk of Kemper's Brigade in the Civil War. Delk
was later captain of one of the steamboats serving the port of
Smithfield. The house features floor-length windows.
||220 South Church Street -
Eason-Whitley House (circa 1756). This house stands on
one of the first lots to be sold in the new town of Smithfield in
1752. The lot sold for four pounds, six shillings. James
Eason first occupied the home in 1756. It was the home of the
Whitley family from 1913-1988.
||226 South Church Street -
Pembroke Decatur Gwaltney House (circa 1876). Victorian
in style, the house was built in 1876. Mr. Gwaltney founded the
peanut business in Smithfield and later re-established the meat curing
business started by Mallory Todd.
||301 Jericho Road -
Windsor Castle (circa 1750). Built about 1750 by Arthur
Smith IV, founder of Smithfield. The home is a stucco-covered
brick home with dormer-windowed second floor and a full
basement. It is, most likely, not the original house of the
plantation which was patented in 1637 to the third son Arthur Smith of
Blackmore, Essex, England. The town of Smithfield was laid out
on a portion of Smith's original land grant from the king of
England. The town of Smithfield was named for this Arthur Smith.
||304 South Church Street - Pembroke
Decatur Gwaltney House (circa 1901). This house is
the epitome of the Queen Anne style of Victorian architecture.
The house, completed in 1901, took two years to build with its
turrets, towers, gables, stained-glass windows, bay windows, tiled
roof, porte-cochere, and cabinet mantles (inlaid in mother of
pearl). In 1926, P. D. Gwaltney Jr., along with A.S. Johnson,
worked hard to get the Smithfield Ham recognized. On page 1001
of the Acts of the General Assembly, Section 23, is the first law
dealing with the famous Smithfield hams. Strict rules were made
about labeling hams, shoulders, sides and jowls. The penalty of
violation of this act was set at not less than $25 or more than
$300. The house remains in the P.D. Gwaltney Family.
||334 South Church Street -
Goodrich House (circa 1886). This house was built about
1886. It is elegantly Victorian and is distinguished as the only
home in Smithfield with a Mansard roof and stained-glass cupola.
||338 South Church Street -
Andrew Mackie House (circa 1796). Built about 1796, this
house features a beautiful colonial-style garden sloping to Little
Creek, with boxwood bushes, a gazebo, and Chippendale benches.
||352 South Church Street -
Thomas Blow House (circa 1800). Part of this house is
believed to have been built as early as 1800 by Thomas Blow.
Later in 1827, the widow of General Francis M. Boykin (for whom Fort
Boykin is named) resided here. General Boykin served with both
General Washington and Patrick Henry during the Revolutionary War.
||373 South Church
Street - Benjamin Drew Brick Fireproof Storehouse (circa 1810).
||357 South Church Street -
Wilson-Morrison House (circa 1771 & 1778). Facing the house,
the right wing dates to 1771 and the left wing to 1778. It
features a free-hanging stairway in the entry foyer.
||351 South Church Street -
Watson P. Jordan House (circa 1822). Originally built
circa 1822 by Watson P. Jordan, this house was purchased by the
Honorable Archibald Atkinson in 1837. Atkinson was the U.S.
Congressman for the local district from 1839-1844 and Mayor of
Smithfield from 1852-1855.
||345 South Church Street -
Berryman House (circa 1900). This is one of the last and
most impressive homes of the Victorian period in Smithfield. It
features a ballroom on the third floorn a widow's walk at its peak,
and an ornate gazebo overlooking the Pagan River.
335 South Church Street - Sinclair House (circa
1758). The original part of this home is believed to
have been built by Andrew Mackie after he purchased the lot in
1758. Mackie and his family occupied the house until 1778,
when he sold it to Captain John Sinclair. Sinclair occupied
the house from 1778-1796. He was a colorful character who
was the captain of a blockade runner during the Revolutionary
war. As a blockade runner, he would secretly maneuver his
ships through the blockade of British warships in order to bring
in supplies to the colonists. After the war, he operated as
a privateer against British trade ships.
||309 South Church Street -
William D. Folk House (circa 1876). Built in 1876 and
painted red during Victorian times, this was the home of William Folk,
Mayor of Smithfield, from 1884-1893. Since that time it has been
the home of two more of Smithfield's mayors - Howard W. Gwaltney
(1950-1961) and Smithfield's first woman mayor, Florine H. Moore,
elected in 1986.
||213 South Church Street -
King-Atkinson House (circa 1798). This home was built by
Thomas King who was an ensign in the Revolutionary War. It was
later owned by Capt. Joseph Atkinson who served in the militia in the
war of 1812.
||201 South Church Street -
The Cottage (circa 1887). This house was built around
1887 of board and batten construction in the American Gothic Style.
||123 South Church Street -
Wentworth-Grinnan House (circa 1780). The
left wing of this house dates to 1780. It was known as the
"little storehouse". The two-story right wing was
added in the 1820's or 1830's.
||117 South Church Street -
Wentworth-Barrett House (circa 1752). This
house was one of the first buildings to be erected in 1752 in the new
town of Smithfield. It was the residence of Captain Samuel Wentworth.
It stood unoccupied for more than forty years before being restored by
Fred M. Barrett II in the 1950s.
||111 South Church Street -
Christ Episcopal Church (circa 1830). The
church was built in 1830. The church bell is said to have been
tendered to the Confederate Ordinance Department in 1862 during the
||22 Main Street - Todd House (circa
1753). The left wing of the house was built circa 1753
by Nicholas Parker, a cabinet maker. It was later the home of
Captain Mallory Todd, who was born in Bermuda and was living in
Smithfield by 1767. Mallory Todd is the first documented person
to have cured and exported Smithfield hams.
||36 Main Street - Thomas House
- "Mansion on Main" (circa 1889). The
house was built about 1889 for Richard S. Thomas, a prominent
Smithfield lawyer and historian. It sits on the site of an
earlier house. The house is now a bed and breakfast called
"Mansion on Main".
||103 Main Street - Isle of
Wight County Museum (circa 1913). The
building was built in 1913 to house the Bank of Smithfield, which had
outgrown a previous building. It features imported marble and
tile and an enormous Tiffany style domed skylight. Since 1978 it
has been the home of the Isle of Wight County Museum.
||112 Main Street -
Smithfield Inn (circa 1752). The Smithfield Inn was
built in 1752 for Henry Woodley. It was first opened as a tavern
by William Rand in 1759 and has been used in that capacity for over
half of its existence. It was bought by Christ Episcopal Church
in 1854 for use as a rectory until 1892.
||124 Main Street - Gaming
House (circa 1766). This building was in use as a
counting house and gaming house by 1766.
||130 Main Street - Old
Courthouse & Clerk's Office (circa 1750). This
building was built in 1750 and used as a courthouse until 1800 when
the court was moved to Isle of Wight County Courthouse. After
that time, it was converted to a private three-story dwelling.
The private dwelling was constructed in such a way that the original
structure of the courthouse was preserved almost completely
intact. In 1959 the Isle of Wight branch of the Association for
the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities began restoration of the
building to its original form. It is now open to the public with
no charge for admittance. The adjoining clerk's office was built
in 1799 and has been used as an office or a shop since 1800.
||106 North Mason Street - Old
Jail (circa 1799). The jail was built in 1799 by Isaac
Lever, a contractor. It was used as a jail for only one year
until the courthouse was moved. Since 1800 is has served
primarily as a residence.
||220 Grace Street - The Grove (circa
1780). The Grove was built between
1780-90 for Thomas Pierce. This brick residence once stood in a
grove of oak trees, which was cut down and sold to the Russian Navy
during the Crimean War. The building was once used as a boarding
house and a hotel. It was restored in 1956 by Lieutenant
Governor and Mrs. A.E.S. Stephens.
||222 Grace Street - Hayden Hall (circa
Hayden Hall was built for Mrs. Martha Hall sometime before
1812. The house was used briefly in 1836 for the first girls'
school in Smithfield. The small park across the street was
originally the entrance lane to Hayden Hall.
||204 Grace Street - Oak Grove Academy (circa
1836). This building was built in 1836 as "Oak
Grove Academy for Young Ladies". It has also housed two
other institutions of learning, The Smithfield Female Institute ; and
The Smithfield Male and Female Institute.
||308 Grace Street -
James Robert Jordan House (circa 1907). This handsome
home was built in 1907 and was later converted into apartments in the
thirties. It is now a single residence.
||320 Grace Street -
The Cottage (circa 1885). This beautifully restored home
was built in 1885 for Mrs. Sally Eley, owner of the Smithfield Female
|| Grace Street - Pierceville (circa
1730). A fine Dutch-roofed house built around 1730 for
Thomas Pierce, a merchant and a leader in the fight for Independence.
||108 Cary Street - Pollard House (circa
1750). Built between 1750 - 1780 on Main Street, this
house was moved around the corner to Cary Street about the turn of the
||336-346 Main Street -
Victorian Row (circa 1900). Victorian row , also know as
the Painted Ladies, consists of five typical houses of the late
Victorian time period (early 1900's), each featuring bay fronts and
gingerbread trim. The houses were built around 1901 by Burton W.
Hearn, who, himself, lived at 346 Main Street.
||345 Main Street -
Britt-Simpson House (circa 1854). Built around 1854 by
George W. Britt, this was the home of Frank B. and Emily Delk
Simpson. Mrs. Simpson was one of the founders of the Women's
Club of Smithfield and the organizer and first director of the Isle of
Wight Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia