This house is the epitome of the Queen Anne
style of Victorian architecture. The house, completed in
1901, took two years to build with its turrets, towers, gables,
stained-glass windows, bay windows, tiled roof, porte-cochere, and
cabinet mantles (inlaid in mother of pearl). In 1926, P. D.
Gwaltney Jr., along with A.S. Johnson, worked hard to get the
Smithfield Ham recognized. On page 1001 of the Acts of the
General Assembly, Section 23, is the first law dealing with the
famous Smithfield hams. Strict rules were made about
labeling hams, shoulders, sides and jowls. The penalty of
violation of this act was set at not less than $25 or more than
$300. The house remains in the P.D. Gwaltney Family.