335 Main Street - Hattie Drummond House
(Visitor Center)
Built circ. 1865


335 Main Street - Hattie Drummond House (circ. 1865)
Presently serves as the Isle of Wight Visitor Center

This house was built for Hattie Drummond by her brother, Mr. Watson, to serve as a millinery business shortly after the Civil War.  Hattie's husband was apparently an irresponsible roamer, guilty of long and frequent absences.  Hattie's brother wanted to provide her with some financial security.  The business proved to be so successful that by 1868 Hattie had paid back her brother, and the house and business were deeded to her "free from all marital rights of her husband".

Chronological Tour

30 of 44

 

~ OR ~

Stop-By-Stop Tour

1 of 44

 

  One Page Summary 

  Large Map 

  A Brief History of Smithfield 

  Home Page 

Adapted from the original hard copy walking tour designed by the Smithfield & Isle of Wight Convention & Visitors Bureau.
For additional information about the walking tour, contact the Visitors Bureau at: 757-357-5182 or 800-365-9339.
Unless otherwise noted, the homes shown on this site are private residences and are not open to the public.

E-mail comments about this website to the website administrator.