The Grove was built between 1780-90 for Thomas
Pierce. This brick residence once stood in a grove of oak
trees, which was cut down and sold to the Russian Navy during the
Crimean War. The building was once used as a boarding house
and a hotel. It was restored in 1956 by Lieutenant Governor
and Mrs. A.E.S. Stephens.
Adapted from the
original hard copy walking tour designed by the Smithfield
& Isle of Wight Convention & Visitors Bureau.
For additional information about the walking tour, contact the
Visitors Bureau at: 757-357-5182 or 800-365-9339.
Unless otherwise noted, the homes shown on this site are private
residences and are not open to the public.