130 Main Street - Old Courthouse
& Clerk's Office
Built circ. 1750
130 Main Street - Old Courthouse & Clerk's
Office (circa 1750)
This building was built in 1750 and used as a
courthouse until 1800 when the court was moved to Isle of Wight
County Courthouse. After that time, it was converted to a
private three-story dwelling. The private dwelling was
constructed in such a way that the original structure of the
courthouse was preserved almost completely intact. In 1959
the Isle of Wight branch of the Association for the Preservation
of Virginia Antiquities began restoration of the building to its
original form. It is now open to the public with no charge
for admittance. The adjoining clerk's office was built in
1799 and has been used as an office or a shop since 1800.
More Details About the Old Courthouse - History & Photos
Adapted from the
original hard copy walking tour designed by the Smithfield
& Isle of Wight Convention & Visitors Bureau.
For additional information about the walking tour, contact the
Visitors Bureau at: 757-357-5182 or 800-365-9339.
Unless otherwise noted, the homes shown on this site are private
residences and are not open to the public.